These Cookie Monster cupcakes are the perfect combination of funny and delicious that younger kids will love. Also, they are so easy to make that you can include your little helpers in the process! Whether for a party at school or at home or even just to make a regular day a little extra special, these cupcakes are just the thing to put a smile on your child's face.
Here's the recipe we used for our chocolate cupcakes.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- icing sugar
- blue food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups .
3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
4. For the icing, melt a tablespoon of butter and add icing sugar, a splash of lemon juice (or just water) and blue food coloring and mix it well.
5. Frost with the blue icing and dip it into coconut. Make the google eyes with marshmallows (small pieces cut from the big ones) and a dot of black icing. Hold the cookie into the mouth with icing or alternatively use a sugar candy tongue.
Nom, nom, nom!